Saturday, May 28, 2011

Growing, growing, growing. . .

I said that I would post twice a week, but here I am, nearly two weeks since my last post.  Well, this is embarrassing.

I haven't been completely idle for the past two weeks, but pretty close to it. Truth be told, it's because I've been feeling a bit down lately.  My co-op prospects are running dry and I've been missing my family on the mainland quite a bit; I haven't seen most of them in about a year and a half.   

But I'm not going to fall back into my old rut.  I'm going to apply for one last position, and I won't take it personally if I don't get it.  It's a tough job market, and it's hard to compete with more outgoing and experienced people.  The job I have pays for what I need (and a little bit of what I want), and it will be really nice to have a stress free summer with lots of free time.  And that free time and little bit of "what I want" money can get me to Vancouver to see my family in the next month or so.

Like a lot of. . .  well, a large portion of the world, we've had a less than awesome few months weather-wise.  It's been a cold, wet May, but thankfully most of the plants in my garden are doing okay.  Since my last post, the beets have germinated and are looking very healthy!  I planted a mix of three varieties, and I can't wait to see what comes out of the ground in the next couple of months.  Most of the peas are growing very quickly, too.  I bet they'll be as tall as me by the end of June.  The peppers, kale and one of the tomatoes are doing just fine, but I'm not sure about the other two tomatoes.  They've hardly grown at all, and they're already trying to flower.  Luckily, they're indeterminate, so they should keep growing and producing more flowers later in the season when it warms up (knock on wood).

I'm really excited to watch the garden explode when it warms up.  As cheesy as it sounds, I'm looking forward to growing with it, too.  It's going to be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment